Non-executive directors normally have responsibilities in the following areas:
- Strategy: Constructively challenge & contribute to the development of strategy.
- Performance: scrutinise the performance of management in meeting-agreed goals and objectives and monitoring and, where necessary, removing senior management, & in succession planning.
- Risk: Help to ensure that financial information is accurate and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible.
- People: Determining appropriate levels of remuneration of executive directors and have a prime role in appointing and where necessary removing senior management, and in succession planning.
- Independent views on: Resources, Appointments, Standards of conduct. 
1. Adapted from Higgs Report published in the UK by the British government.